Before an earthquake occurs
Personal Preparedness Actions
- Check for potential fire risks. Defective electrical wiring
and leaky gas connections are very dangerous in the event of
an earthquake. Bolt down or provide other strong support for
water heaters and gas appliances. Use flexible connections wherever
- Know where and how to shut off electricity, gas and water
at main switches and valves. Check with your local utilities
office for instructions.
- Be sure you have a flashlight and a battery powered radio
on hand in case power is cut off.
- Place large and heavy objects on lower shelves. Securely fasten
shelves to walls. Brace or anchor high or top heavy objects.
- Bottled goods, glass, china and other breakables should likewise
not be stored in high places of left where they can freely slide
- Overhead lighting fixtures such as chandeliers should be made
fast. A little wiring or anchoring will usually take care of
- Deep plaster cracks should be investigated. Such cracks, especially
on ceilings, could result in large pieces of heavy plaster falling
and causing injury.